The North American gutter protection market offers more than 150 products that range from inexpensive screens to nylon cushions and brushes, and from expensive stainless steel filters to high profile, expensive national brands. The industry is a "Buyer Beware" market, filled with misleading claims and craftily worded warranties. Before purchasing, ask yourself a few "common sense" questions:
- Does the warranty require that I work with the local dealer or the manufacturer?
- If and when the product clogs, who will clean it? How easy is the product to install?
- How easy is the product to clean and maintain?
- Can the product be removed to clean the gutters and downspouts if they do clog, as most eventually do?
- Will the gutter protection product clog (like screens and filters always do)?
- Will the product stand up to weather, critters and other factors?